Adaptive Skills Training Program
Adaptive functioning refers to how independently a person functions in three main skill areas:
- Practical skills, such as personal hygiene and keeping a living area clean
- Social skills, such as interpersonal communication and the ability to establish and maintain friendships
- Conceptual skills, such as language and literacy, the ability to plan and organize, and the ability to understand abstract concepts like time and money
At People’s Care, our Adaptive Skills Training Program is meant for individuals who need assistance in mastering some or all of these adaptive skills. The training is completely customized to meet each individual’s specific needs. With each training session, the person receives guidance on how certain tasks are performed. Once a task is carried out properly, positive reinforcement is used to solidify the learning and help the individual increase his or her level of confidence and independence.
Based on the individual’s specific needs, the Adaptive Skills Training Program will focus on skills involving:
- Physical health
- Daily tasks
- Emotional well-being
- Community access
- Opportunities for employment
- Contact with family and friends
- Acceptance into the neighborhood
- Promotion of integrity and self-worth
At People’s Care, we believe that family support is important to individual’s success, and we foster open communication with all family members. We also work in partnership with the entire circle of support to help the individual maximize his or her quality of life and achieve his or her full potential.